Traditional marketing, also known as untargeted marketing, involves marketing strategies which, instead of targeting a specific population, targets everyone in your state or city. One of the biggest disadvantages of traditional marketing is high investment but minimal results. These strategies generally include marketing via radio, television, print media, using marketing vehicles, and billboards or hoardings. Traditional marketing techniques are generally used by companies who are already well-established and recognized but must continue marketing for the sake of maintaining their market share. This offers little chance for actual growth.
Benefits of Traditional Marketing
As we mentioned, traditional marketing generally works best for companies and organizations that have already acquired recognition in their market. Continuing to market using traditional methods helps reinforce the company’s image in terms of services offered, new promotions, and maintaining customer loyalty. Basically, their purpose is to make sure people don’t forget that they exist, so they need to make appearances in the market every now and then.
Drawbacks of Traditional Marketing
- Not everyone who comes across the product/ad will be interested in what you offer
- Results are difficult to quantify
- High cost
- Decreased chance of delivering a memorable message to potential customers in case they want to purchase your product immediately.
Questions to ask yourself when undertaking traditional marketing
If you opt to use traditional marketing methods to promote your product or company, here are some questions you may want to consider beforehand:
- Will your ad be heard and seen by your target audience or will it be mentally blocked out?
- Will your ad and its content leave a positive or negative impression on your company?
- Is your ad powerful enough to draw a response from the masses?
- Will your ad be memorable and enticing enough for people to respond to it later?
- Does your competitor offer better services or values?
Internet marketing is considered a more non-traditional, yet effective marketing strategy as it’s considered to be “targeted” marketing for the specific audience you wish to captivate. Usually set up by a digital services company, such as Cheap Web Design Perth, it tends to cost less compared to traditional marketing, as internet marketing charges on a pay-per-click basis (you’re only charged for your advertisement when someone clicks on your banner on a web page). The main benefit of this, which ensures that you pay less, is that only individuals who will actually be interested in your product will be likely to click on your ad, whereas others who aren’t interested would simply overlook the ad, and there is no charge to you.